Boboro"s 2014 grow 5th. year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Joined
May 25, 2011
Messages
26,546
Points
113
Location
near Blacksburg, VA
Out of ~250 plants, I found about 1/2 dozen bud worms. I just squish them. Actually a tiny budworm just smears into nothing, between a fingertip and the leaf surface.

Bob
 

Knucklehead

Moderator
Founding Member
Joined
Oct 18, 2012
Messages
12,777
Points
113
Location
NE Alabama
I'm having the same problem with sprays. We're getting a thundershower just about every evening. It looks like we get a little break after the first of the week. I'm planning on spraying during that gap. I'm picking off worms by hand but not finding many. The grasshoppers were chewing me up but I nailed them with some Bug B Gone. It's too cloudy and rainy, I need some sunshine.
 

Knucklehead

Moderator
Founding Member
Joined
Oct 18, 2012
Messages
12,777
Points
113
Location
NE Alabama
Boboro, you can order Spinosad or BT from Amazon. Free shipping if you buy over $35.00 worth of stuff.

Spinosad: http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&ke...vptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_3zqts34shm_b

BT: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_kk_1...illus+thuringiensis+bt&ie=UTF8&qid=1403984628

I'm using Spinosad this year and really like it. You only have to spray half as often as BT and it works in a similar manner. Not a poison but a biologic control.

I get my 5 gal. paints strainers from Amazon also if you need some to round out your order: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0038RRPI2...UTF8&colid=13VBKGVGUSMWU&coliid=IQKPLFFUTSMNL
 

Boboro

Well-Known Member
Joined
Sep 5, 2011
Messages
4,530
Points
83
Location
Wren Mississippi
Yea thr rains gonna stop but.... Get ready for high 90s. If I cant talk someone into goin to Tupelo ill order some.001.JPG
 

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Joined
May 25, 2011
Messages
26,546
Points
113
Location
near Blacksburg, VA
Those "5 gallon" paint strainer bags are pretty small for bud bags:

Product Dimensions 11.7 x 8.3 x 5.5 inches

The "5 gallon" just means they fit the top of a 5 gallon bucket. The bags I sew are 30" x 24", and are sometimes too big, sometimes too small.

Bob

EDIT: maybe the "product dimensions" is just a measurement of the box they come in??
 

Brown Thumb

Well-Known Member
Joined
May 4, 2012
Messages
4,060
Points
113
Location
Pa
image.jpgThe 5 gallon bags are nice, just like his patch. Not to big not to small. Just Right.
 

DGBAMA

Well-Known Member
Joined
Feb 10, 2013
Messages
4,418
Points
63
Location
NORTH ALABAMA
Just measured 16w x 21l, flat. 14039997045940.jpg

Very fine mesh, much like the no-see-um screen used on tent doors.
 

DGBAMA

Well-Known Member
Joined
Feb 10, 2013
Messages
4,418
Points
63
Location
NORTH ALABAMA
If the flower head gets too big, the lower parts can be trimmed off. The main cluster is still more than enough seed.
 

DGBAMA

Well-Known Member
Joined
Feb 10, 2013
Messages
4,418
Points
63
Location
NORTH ALABAMA
I use nylon zip ties to secure them, but I put them on inside-out, so they don't lock and can be easily loosened to adjust the bag as needed.
 

Knucklehead

Moderator
Founding Member
Joined
Oct 18, 2012
Messages
12,777
Points
113
Location
NE Alabama
Good idea there. thanks, I use zip ties but zip them up.

I bought some of the reusable zip ties this year. You press a tab to unzip them, then zip them back up. They're great when you have to reposition the bag or remove it for pest control. (aphids, bud worms)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top