Boboro's 2013 grow log.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Knucklehead

Moderator
Founding Member
Joined
Oct 18, 2012
Messages
12,777
Points
113
Location
NE Alabama
looks good, but you gotta stay on top of it, to keep the fire lit,

im gonna use a POT BELLY stove when i build mine,

My cousin has one that burns coal or wood. It has a chute that feeds coal automatically. It cost over $200.00 (maybe close to $300.00)though but it takes care of itself until the chute is empty. I don't know how often you have to check it, but not near as often as one without the automatic feed. The feed is adjustable, you can have it just smoldering if you want to.
 

Boboro

Well-Known Member
Joined
Sep 5, 2011
Messages
4,530
Points
83
Location
Wren Mississippi
looks good, but you gotta stay on top of it, to keep the fire lit,

im gonna use a POT BELLY stove when i build mine,
It is small and Ill get a bigger one if I find a cheap one. But I can dry damp bacca to keep it from moldin and mite be able to dry midrib.
 

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
Joined
Aug 28, 2011
Messages
4,631
Points
83
Location
FLORIDA
It is small and Ill get a bigger one if I find a cheap one. But I can dry damp bacca to keep it from moldin and mite be able to dry midrib.

i'll watch the progress, with it,

so far i dont think anyone uses that type of curing method,
 

workhorse_01

Well-Known Member
Joined
Apr 10, 2012
Messages
1,959
Points
0
Location
Waycross,Ga.
I think the only issue you'll have is humidity. Anything with fire is going to suck the humidity out of the air. I don't think you'll have any trouble at all drying midribs.
 

workhorse_01

Well-Known Member
Joined
Apr 10, 2012
Messages
1,959
Points
0
Location
Waycross,Ga.
That pan of water should help a lot. Open flame has a way of just sucking moisture out of the air, if your not sealed to tight it might not be an issue at all. I hope not for you.
Ill put a pan of water on the stove and wet the floor if I need to. Ive never had a to dry problem.
 

Boboro

Well-Known Member
Joined
Sep 5, 2011
Messages
4,530
Points
83
Location
Wren Mississippi
I got a RH gauge and if it gets to dry Ill open the doors. Almost every thing in the shed is brown and I just need to dry the ribs.
 

DGBAMA

Well-Known Member
Joined
Feb 10, 2013
Messages
4,418
Points
63
Location
NORTH ALABAMA
Nice heater. Will have good draft with that high roof.

Food for thought: you will push a lot of wasted heat out..Running the chimney a length at a shallow angle takes more pipe but provides more heating surface area and slows airflow for better heat transfer into the room. Or add a damper midway up the current setup.
 

johnlee1933

Moderator
Founding Member
Joined
Aug 21, 2011
Messages
3,970
Points
0
Location
Near Danbury, CT
Nice heater. Will have good draft with that high roof.

Food for thought: you will push a lot of wasted heat out..Running the chimney a length at a shallow angle takes more pipe but provides more heating surface area and slows airflow for better heat transfer into the room. Or add a damper midway up the current setup.
Very true but more horizonatl pipe is more pipe to clean and that's important to avoid stack fires. They get ugly in a hurry.
 

Boboro

Well-Known Member
Joined
Sep 5, 2011
Messages
4,530
Points
83
Location
Wren Mississippi
Its a cheap heater and I will be very careful with it. If it works Ill find a better one. Right now I just want to dry some mid rib.
 

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
Joined
Aug 28, 2011
Messages
4,631
Points
83
Location
FLORIDA
with that thing,,, you'll have to do a bigger crop and totally fill that area up.
 

Boboro

Well-Known Member
Joined
Sep 5, 2011
Messages
4,530
Points
83
Location
Wren Mississippi
You might want to consider some insulation (or a reflective sheet) for that nearby beam.

Bob
All the wood is 12" or more from the pipe but Ill keep a eye on it. I have duct pipe I can wrap it with if I need to. I plan to keep the fires small at first.
 

workhorse_01

Well-Known Member
Joined
Apr 10, 2012
Messages
1,959
Points
0
Location
Waycross,Ga.
Next year you'll be looking for a press, to start making bales to save storage space. You really did good this year.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top