Importing to Saskatchewan, Canada

bacobacco

Member
Joined
Apr 24, 2024
Messages
11
Points
3
Location
Canada
Hey everyone,

I've been thinking about making a WLT order, but all the talk of taxes is making me apprehensive, so I'm looking for some clarification.

In this thread, on page 5 of the pdf, links to an SK Tobacco Tax page where they state the tax rate for raw leaf tobacco is 35 cents per gram (in Alberta it's $0.4125 per gram).

So 1lb is 454g, and 454g * $0.35 = $158.90 tax per pound, yikes.

I know it's bad in BC and WLT has stopped shipping orders there, but has anyone been dinged by this in SK or Alberta? Does a customs tax reassessment fix this in any way? It seems fairly clear we're screwed. Is it a game of chance now, until all customs agents are caught up on the new laws?

Thanks,
bacobacco
 

DreadApache

Well-Known Member
Joined
Oct 23, 2023
Messages
48
Points
33
Location
Montreal
Hey everyone,

I've been thinking about making a WLT order, but all the talk of taxes is making me apprehensive, so I'm looking for some clarification.

In this thread, on page 5 of the pdf, links to an SK Tobacco Tax page where they state the tax rate for raw leaf tobacco is 35 cents per gram (in Alberta it's $0.4125 per gram).

So 1lb is 454g, and 454g * $0.35 = $158.90 tax per pound, yikes.

I know it's bad in BC and WLT has stopped shipping orders there, but has anyone been dinged by this in SK or Alberta? Does a customs tax reassessment fix this in any way? It seems fairly clear we're screwed. Is it a game of chance now, until all customs agents are caught up on the new laws?

Thanks,
bacobacco
For Canada it is processed as raw leaf tobacco, tax is 5.5% and duty is about 0.75$ per kilo plus CBSA processing fee 9.95$. For example i ordered 5 pounds the other day and paid 23$ total. It is the same for all Provinces except bc are being asses and charging it as processed tobacco.
 

DreadApache

Well-Known Member
Joined
Oct 23, 2023
Messages
48
Points
33
Location
Montreal
Thanks @DreadApache. That’s good to know, but I struggle to understand why, ya know? The provincial websites state the tax rate for raw leaf to be much higher than $0.75 per kilo. Seems like a communication issue on the governments end, and only BC has caught on to and is enforcing (for now)?
Hey my bad it's 1.57$/kilo, so roughly 0.75$ per pound, sorry about the mixup. Here's the link to the Government of Canada excise tax list https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-ag...-tobacco-products-effective-april-1-2024.html
 

burge

Well-Known Member
Joined
Apr 11, 2014
Messages
1,701
Points
113
Location
Alberta
I am getting back to drop shipping from Canada. Buying from Whole leaf but sends a remittance order to the person in Canada they ship it. Don makes the money off it there is not point have a product cross the border twice. As a Canadian I have to buy from someone who is licensed.
 

UmbriaFarmer

Well-Known Member
Joined
Feb 18, 2026
Messages
107
Points
43
Location
Umbria Italy
Hey everyone,

I've been thinking about making a WLT order, but all the talk of taxes is making me apprehensive, so I'm looking for some clarification.

In this thread, on page 5 of the pdf, links to an SK Tobacco Tax page where they state the tax rate for raw leaf tobacco is 35 cents per gram (in Alberta it's $0.4125 per gram).

So 1lb is 454g, and 454g * $0.35 = $158.90 tax per pound, yikes.

I know it's bad in BC and WLT has stopped shipping orders there, but has anyone been dinged by this in SK or Alberta? Does a customs tax reassessment fix this in any way? It seems fairly clear we're screwed. Is it a game of chance now, until all customs agents are caught up on the new laws?

Thanks,
bacobacco
For what it's worth, I used to use a store that accepted packages, just across the line in WA, then I lived in BC. I'd pick them up there then drive home...
 
Last edited by a moderator:

burge

Well-Known Member
Joined
Apr 11, 2014
Messages
1,701
Points
113
Location
Alberta
Right now that isn't an option for most. I have looked into it and some won't cross the border. Tariffs now but the idea I suggested would at least allow for a cheaper shipping rate. Last year my duty was 37 dollars.
 

Nomie224

New Member
Joined
Jul 19, 2026
Messages
4
Points
1
Location
Edmonton
What I don't know is what it will be with duty and such with tariffs and such.
Ive spoken to someone who regularly imports raw lead tobacco to Montreal, and they said the duty fees were roughly the same as before. I'm curious if the provincial fees apply; 35cent/gram for saskatchewan and 42cent/gram in Alberta. Or is that for commercial businesses?
 
Top