Importing to Saskatchewan, Canada

burge

Well-Known Member
Joined
Apr 11, 2014
Messages
1,702
Points
113
Location
Alberta
Ive spoken to someone who regularly imports raw lead tobacco to Montreal, and they said the duty fees were roughly the same as before. I'm curious if the provincial fees apply; 35cent/gram for saskatchewan and 42cent/gram in Alberta. Or is that for commercial businesses?
Raw leaf is different.
 

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Joined
May 25, 2011
Messages
26,547
Points
113
Location
near Blacksburg, VA
Intact tobacco leaves, with the stem (central vein) still in place, are considered "raw tobacco", which is an agricultural commodity, rather than a "tobacco product". This designation varies from one political entity to another.

Bob
 

UmbriaFarmer

Well-Known Member
Joined
Feb 18, 2026
Messages
109
Points
43
Location
Umbria Italy
Ive spoken to someone who regularly imports raw lead tobacco to Montreal, and they said the duty fees were roughly the same as before. I'm curious if the provincial fees apply; 35cent/gram for saskatchewan and 42cent/gram in Alberta. Or is that for commercial businesses?
Jesus H Christ, at 35 cents, that's $160 a pound....
 

Nomie224

Member
Joined
Jul 19, 2026
Messages
5
Points
1
Location
Edmonton
Right, I get that, but it's a bit confusing for me because Saskatchewan's tobacco act explicitly states that raw leaf tobacco is subject to duty fees when imported--35 cents per gram when imported. Same language in Alberta.

I'd like to know whether that duty fee is actually enforced in Saskatchewan right now. Is the duty fee only for retailers, or does it include those importing for personal consumption?
 
Top