cangrow
Active Member
Sounds intriguing! Where can one buy 'em? Thanks,![]()
Oliva Seconds, of which there are numerous, transient varieties, are designated only by lot numbers. No clue is offered about its intended frontmark. Each lot specifies a length and ring size, though that is only an approximation. Purchasing Oliva Seconds is always pot luck. But it's a genuine Oliva, no matter what you get. On occasion, I've been able to re-order the same lot number as a previous shipment, but even then, they may differ. There is no indication of the varieties of the wrapper, binder or filler. It's just Oliva.
And there is the bonus of not having to pry an advertising billboard (cigar band) away from the delicate wrapper.
I can usually find a minor flaw in the wrapper of maybe 5 out of the 20 cigars in a bundle, but the remaining 15 appear flawless. I suspect that many "perfect" cigars are included in the bundles, in order to maintain production and cash flow during a time of severe financial stress on the industry.
Regardless of the lot or size of the Oliva Seconds I've received, they have been consistently wonderful smokes, even the few with identifiable flaws. The cigars shown in the photo above cost about $2.50 each. The cigar resting on top of the bundle had a tiny wrapper split near the foot, that had no impact on smoking it.
Bob
G